What is Digital Radiography?
Digital radiography is in effect a high-tech replacement for traditional dental X-rays, and has several advantages over the latter.
- Less Radiation The equipment used in digital radiography significantly reduces radiation exposure to the patient by another 40 to 80 percent. This is a great benefit and service to our patients.
- Shorter Appointments With traditional X-rays, patients had to wait while the dentist develops the film. With todays digital radiography, the X-ray image captured by the sensor is processed and projected onto the display screen almost instantly.
- Better Diagnostics Where traditional X-rays were a standard size that can make viewing difficult, digital X-rays can be magnified for a better visual of the tooth's structure. Levels of brightness, contrast, and color can be adjusted dynamically, allowing your dentist to see pathology more clearly and in less time. Dentists are also able to electronically send images to specialists.
- Increased Patient Education Dentists are able to share an X-ray with the patient on a 19-inch screen, allowing you to better understand problems and options.
- Environmentally Friendly Just as with digital cameras, this technology allows us to do away with film and messy chemicals.
We can enthusiastically say that digital radiography has improved our practice and our service to our patients.